Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Egg Drop Soup

Hey my two readers, did you miss me?  We snuck down to San Diego for the weekend to visit the grandparents so I didn't do much or any cooking for a few days.  It was nice.  One of the main reasons I cook so much at home is there is a definite lack of good restaurants in my town.  Plus, living 15-20 miles away from said restaurants, it's a commitment to go to one.  While there are a few restaurants that we like to go to, there is not a good Chinese one.  TGIM wanted some Asian food recently so I decided to give it a try.  Since I knew he'd be starving when he walked in the door (and he had to stop at the store for a key ingredient so dinner wasn't going to be ready when he got home) I decided to make up a pot of Egg Drop Soup.  Had I know how ridiculously easy it was I would have been making this all the time.

 Here's what you need.... chicken or veggie stock, soy sauce, corn starch, some green onion, eggs, ginger and totally optional but I had some on hand, mushrooms.
 First, put your stock in the pot.  Save about 1/2 cup for later.  Then add your minced ginger.
 Rough chop a few mushrooms.  I only used about 4.
 Add them to the pot
 Then your chopped green onions
 and about a Tbl of Soy Sauce.
 With that 1/2 cup of reserved stock add a Tbl of corn starch.  This will thicken the soup a little.
 Mix it up until the corn starch is dissolved
 Add it to the soup and then bring the soup to a boil.
 While you're waiting for the soup to boil, add an egg or two into a dish.  Then sideways beat it up.  Or don't do it sideways and wonder why every time you take pictures of the process, one turns on its side and there's no way in blogger to rotate a picture.
 After the soup is boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer.  Slowly pour in the egg mixture while stirring the soup.  The egg naturally spreads into these lovely ribbons.  If I was an octopus, I could have taken pictures while I was pouring and stirring, but I'm not so you're going to have to figure it out on your own. 
Add a little extra green onion for a garnish and serve it immediately.

TGIM thought it was better than any restaurant soup he's had.  I almost agreed.  I thought it needed some salt.  Then I realized that I did use homemade stock with no salt and reduced sodium soy sauce.  That was probably why it needed some.  I added a teeny bit and it was perfect.

No comments: