Friday, August 5, 2011

Can You Can It?

The Garden of Eating.I just stumbled upon this blog, The Garden of Eating.
She's having a canning contest on her blog and I just entered my Salsa Verde. 
Last year I started canning and although it can be a lot of work, my family reaps the rewards during the winter.  Of course, it doesn't have to be the all consuming task I make it out to be, but I do a crazy amount of canning. 

This year, my goal is 60 quarts of tomatoes.  Currently I have 18.  Every week I'm getting 20 - 40 pounds (20 pounds is approximately 1 canner load of 7 quarts) of organic tomatoes.  Why in the world would I want to can that many?  Well, it's got to last me all winter long.  With all the canning I do in the Summer/Autumn, our grocery list in the Winter/Spring is tiny.  Pretty much dairy stuff and a few misc produce items.  And flour, always need flour!

Anyway, when she opens up the contest for voting, hop on over there and vote for me!  And start canning, you won't regret it.  he he he

No comments: