Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Tomato Zucchini Gratin

When we were in San Diego last week, TGIM's uncle gave me a huge zucchini from his garden.  While I like zucchini, I don't LOVE it.  In fact, I have few recipes for it and half the time I wind up giving them away.  My absolute favorite food blog is Proud Italian Cook and she's ALWAYS got fabulous recipes and tons of zucchini recipes.  So I decided to go browse her site and found this.  I didn't have any fresh cherry tomatoes but I did still have a few jars of grape tomatoes I canned last year and they needed to be used.

I adapted her recipe to suit our (and I mean TGIMs) needs.  There's no "real" recipe so I just took pictures of the steps I did.

 Slice up some sweet onion and zucchini
 Layer the onion in your pan and drizzle with olive oil.
 Layer the zucchini and then some tomatoes. 
 Add some of that "green cheese" from a can.  TGIM doesn't like melted cheese except on pizza.  Really?  It doesn't make sense to me either.  Good thing he's cute.  LOL!
 I decided to sprinkle a little salt and black pepper on this layer.  I should have added the panko flakes for added crunch.
 Repeat the layers.  I wound up with 2 layers of each
 On my top layer, I drizzled a little more olive oil.
 Then added some panko flakes
I added more onions on top (mainly because I didn't use them all in the layers and they burned) and baked it in at 425 for about 35 minutes. 

It was super yummy and between TGIM and I, we ate the whole thing.

No comments: