Thursday, August 11, 2011

How to have a well stocked pantry

I've had numerous requests about the contents of my pantry. Ok, actually only one person has inquired about the contents of my pantry, but she's done it several times! So I thought I'd take a few pictures and tell you about them.   You might not need or want the things that I do and that's fine, it's all about what you like and want.  A well stocked pantry is essential.  With the right essentials you can whip up a meal in no time at all.  Plus, having the essentials in your cabinet will save you money.  How many times have you run to the store for 1 thing and come out with 10?  TGIM does it every time I send him.  LOL!

For me, I always have pasta/noodles and several different varieties i.e  Penne, Rigatoni, Spaghetti, Soba, Rice Sticks.   I also always have Mac and Cheese for my boys.  What can I say, they are 4 and 6.  I also have tomato sauce and paste because that's just more convenient than making my own.  The one thing you will notice is there are no commercially canned foods in my pantry.  We don't eat canned foods (except the last few cans of olives, then I'll get them in glass jars) because there is bpa in the linings.  I'm not going to preach to you about the evils of bpa.  You can google it yourself. 

I always have different typs of beans (pinto, black, garbanzo, kidney etc.) rice (wild, brown, white) and lentils and whole grains (quinoa, barley)

The bottom shelf in the picture (the real bottom shelf currently has some empty canning jars) has various bbq sauces, hot sauces, jams and jellys, green chile peppers and things like that.

 This is my "spice" cabinet.  It has my various herbs, spices, oils and vinegars
 And my baking cabinet with flours, extracts, nuts etc.  It also has my coffee because my coffee maker is underneath this cabinet and it's just easier this way.
My kitchen doesn't have a lot of space for the stockpile of foods I had after I started canning so TGIM went to Ikea and got me this cabinet.  In here are my canned tomatoes, salsas, pickles and stock (chicken, beef and turkey)

Some things I use a lot of like flour (whole wheat and all-purpose), rice, quinoa, sugar.  Those I have on this little shelf in the cabinet TGIM got me. 

For a printable list of what I use most often click here.  Remember that you don't have to go out and purchase everything on the list at once, or ever.  These are what I use most and generally always have on hand.  It's by no means comprehensive of what other things may randomly be in my pantry, just what normally is. 

I didn't even go into what's in my fridge and freezer.  I'll save that for another time.

No comments: