Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Crispy Chicken Thighs

When I was first learning how to cook I'd bug Sister Chef constantly with...."how do you make....?" questions.  Finally she told me if you like garlic, use garlic!  If you like rosemary, use rosemary!  I think she was a little annoyed.  The funny thing is now if someone asks me how I did something, my usual response is.... I threw in a little of this and a little of that.  Man, turnaround is fair play and all that, right?  One of the reasons I started posting recipes and how I do things is for a certain friend (or two) of mine who wanted more detail on how to do things.  So here goes something I just messed around with using things in my fridge and pantry.
 Chicken thighs (I've recently discovered the joys of chicken thighs), panko flakes, lemon, rosemary, Parmesan and the "needs for breading the thighs.
 I put some panko flakes in a bowl, maybe about 1/2 cup.  I didn't measure.
 I minced up some rosemary and added that to the panko
 sprinkled in some Parmesan
 and some lemon zest
 some salt and pepper
 in a separate bowl I put 1 egg
 and the juice of half a lemon
 gave that a little mix
put some olive oil in my cast iron skillet
 Then added some of this Watkins Liquid Spice Garlic.
 Got a little frustrated because it only comes out by the drop and I swear I could bathe in it.  It's that stinking good!
 take one of your lovely chicken thighs
 and dip it in the egg wash
 then roll it around in your seasoned panko flakes
 add it to your hot skillet to brown
 as you can see, I ran out of breading, oops.  I guess I should have used more.
 At first I was just going to cook them on the stove top but I had something in the oven so I decided to just brown them on the stove and finish them in the oven.  A little tip, you should have a few pots/pans that can go in the oven... meaning no plastic handles.  It saves a lot of time and cleanup.
This is what they looked like when they were done.  They were crispy yet not greasy and had just enough "something" in the breading to be yummy different.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Most people learn better with a glass or bottle of wine while making the dish with someone who's made it before...
I'm going to try this with chicken cutlets instead of thighs and just pan saute them.

N in Virginia