Thursday, August 4, 2011

Oh the joy!

This year, TGIM and I decided to try our hand at gardening.  TGIM's friend is cleaning up his yard and had this wood and 2 arbor trellis things laying around and gave them to us for our garden.  TGIM made 3 of the 5 garden boxes you see with that wood.  We decided to do raised beds because the "dirt" here is more like concrete and to be honest, neither one of us had the desire to till it.  We thought raised beds would be easier.  Plus I like the look of them.  AND when 2 small boys decided to help garden, it's easier to direct them to weeds and not my precious beauties. 
 Here is what the garden looks like from the gate.  That gigantic thing in the front left box, the one that's pretty much taking over everything is a spaghetti squash.  Next year it's NOT going in that box!  The box behind it is entirely dedicated to peppers.  Yeah, some people might think that's a lot but I'm not sure it's going to be enough.
This is what I can't wait for.  Any guesses what it is???? A Tomatillo!  I planted 3 tomatillo plants and 2 are going crazy with fruits.  Sadly, I decided that the 3rd one needed a stake and I think I did some serious damage to the roots.  It's hanging on, but a few of the branches are dead.  As you might remember from a post not too long ago, this family is salsa verde fanatics.  Here's hoping for even more salsa to can.
No, this is what I can't wait for, Anaheim peppers.  I'm a pepper, he's a pepper, she's a pepper if you eat lots of peppers.... oh it's early and I've only had 2 sips of my morning coffee.
REALLY, this is what I can't wait for.  Don't get me wrong, I love everything I planted in my garden.  Really, why wouldn't I?  I had total control over it so I got to plant the things that I wanted.  TGIM made requests but sadly there was no room for yucky radishes.  he he he 

Every morning and honestly most afternoon I go and check this little guy for the beginnings of fruit.  What can I say? I'm obsessed with my garden and especially this.  All my other pepper plants (and there are 15 others) have fruits on them.  Larger fruits.  In fact, I've even picked some of them already.  This guy is giving me fits though.  FINALLY two days ago I saw that little, beautiful, green bud.  This my friends is a teeny-tiny poblano.  It's my favorite pepper.  It just might be the supreme ruler of peppers.  I cannot describe my love for this pepper.  Hold on to your hats folks because when this baby is ready, we're going to have some serious poblano fun. 

No comments: