Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Flour Tortillas

TGIM loves a good corn torilla, so I learned how to make them.  He's a lucky man isn't he?  ha ha ha.  Personally, I would much rather have a flour tortilla.  I love a good thick, chewy flour tortilla.  Honestly, so does TGIM.  On the rare occasion when he's home AND inside while I'm making them it goes something like this.  Cook tortilla, TGIM eats tortilla.  Cook 2nd tortilla, put in warmer.  Cook 3rd tortilla, TGIM eats it.  Cook 4th tortilla, put in warmer.  This will pretty much go on until I start screaming at him and brandishing my rolling pin as a weapon.  The thing is crazy heavy and TGIM's is a little scared that I might do some damage if I manage to connect.  What he doesn't realize is that with the astronomical price I paid for it (I was at a Vendor Fair and it's hand made in my town from wood from 4 continents, it's magnificent) I would never actually harm it.

Flour Tortillas from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone
 Here's what you need - flour, oil, salt, baking powder and milk. 
 Add 2 cups flour to your bowl
 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
 1 tsp salt
 give that a mix
 now drizzle 2 tsp oil over the flour mixture
 like this.  Don't dump it all in one spot.
 give that a mix too.
 The recipe calls for either milk or water but when you use milk, magic happens.
 Mix that up into a sticky dough.
 Then turn it to your floured counter to knead
 knead it for a few minutes.  It should feel like the tip of your ear.
 and form a nice ball
 cover it with plastic wrap and let it set for 30 minutes to relax the gluten
 if you don't have one of these Terra Cotta warmers, go to White Sands National Monument and get one!  Just kidding, you can get them anywhere.  You put it in your hot oven for 15 minutes and then in the bottom of your basket to keep the tortillas warm.
 Divide the dough into 8 pieces.  What I do is divide the dough in half (top left).  Then take 1 half the dough (top right) and divide that in half (bottom).  If you do it that way, you should end up with 8 equal sized pieces of dough.
 roll it into a little ball and then place on your floured counter and roll out until about 1/4 inch thick. 
 You know they're homemade when they're not a perfect circle.
 it's thin and pliable.  Place it on your cast iron skillet or comal
 You can see how it's puffing up.  After about 40 seconds, flip it over
 Cook the 2nd side for 30 - 60 seconds.
 Put them in your basket or plate (my warmer is under the towel) and serve warm
If it looks like this, your comal is too hot.

1 comment:

essay-writings-service.com said...

I am very enjoyed for this blog. Its an informative topic. It help me very much to solve some problems. Its opportunity are so fantastic and working style so speedy. I think it may be help all of you. Thanks a lot for enjoying this beauty blog with me. I am appreciating it very much!